Skip Navigation LinksHistory
Keil School, Dumbarton, Scotland

The school opened on the 29th November 1915 as Kintyre Technical College, Keil House, Southend, near Campbeltown in Argyll. After a fire destroyed the originally building in Southend it was re-located and opened in Dumbarton as Keil School in 1925.  The school took a lease on Helenslee House, a 50 acre site on the banks of the River Clyde. Helenslee House was originally the property of the ship building family Dennys of Dumbarton.

Keil School was a independent secondary school with boarding and day pupils for around 160 to 200 pupils. The school was an all boys school up until 1978, when it became co-educational. Keil School closed in July 2000.

Currently the school building and site lie unoccupied.  part of the land previously occupied by the school has been redeveloped which private home now occupying the old rugby and cricket pitches adjacent to the River Clyde.

For those interested in reading more of the history of the school, it is worthwhile trying and track down a copy of "A History of Keil School" published in 1993, Author Roddy MacAskill - Printer by the Edinburgh Press Ltd.

Do you know people in the 1975 school photograph? Keil School Photograph - 1975
Recent photos of the school MacKinnon Statue
KSOB Official Website KSOB Logo